RE: U-Joint Removal!?

To: "'James Charles Ruwaldt'" <jruwaldt@indiana.edu>
Subject: RE: U-Joint Removal!?
From: "M. V. Morelli" <morelli@mickey.jsc.nasa.gov>
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 1997 10:07:21 -0600
Cc: "'Triumphs'" <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Jim,

I understand the frustration!  I'm interested in other techniques, but what
I've done (with general success) is:

1)  put lots of grease in the new cups (this helps hold the bearings in place)
2)  insert the cups into yoke and onto the spider gently using a large bench
vise.  This is done two at a time.
    (no banging or jolting -- this is what causes the bearing to fall over)
3)  as the cups start to seat into the yoke, gently slide the spider back and
forth into each of the cups.  This helps you assess
    whether the cups are inserting perpendicularly (very important -- don't
want to bind up the cup in the yoke or break the bearing with a lateral
    force!).  This sliding also keeps the bearing in place.  At times you may
notice a rather large suction holding the spider in one of the cups
   (caused by the grease), gently but firmly pull the spider.

That's it.  Slow and easy gets the job done.  Make sure the inside bore of the
yokes are clean and smooth.  Also make sure there are the correct number of
bearings in each cup, I think it is 29 (better to make sure!).  You should not
have to apply much force.  If you find yourself giving it the gorilla grip then
something is not aligned properly and you need to back it off a bit, realign
it, and then try it again.

I hate u-joints, but they can be done!

Best of luck and patience,

Mike Morelli