Re: wanted:starter for 76 spit

To: Paul Nelson <aloder@websgi.icomnet.com>
Subject: Re: wanted:starter for 76 spit
From: Jamie Palmer <jamiep@cris.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 1997 09:11:31 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Paul Nelson wrote:

> Anyone have a starter for a '76 Spitfire? I believe thats what I need.
> My Spit is making that "click-whirrrrr" noise on occasion at start up.Or
> could it be the flywheel, or both?
>                         Paul Nelson
>                         76 Spitfire

Paul, more than likely it's a sticky bendix mechanism on the end of the
starter shaft.  You can find out for sure by pulling the starter,
freeing the mechanism, and replacing.  I have heard two schools of
thought regarding lubrication of the bendix, perhaps other list members
can help here...I believe in none, myself, having tried both ways...it
seems that the lubricant (whatever I tried) just collected grit and
trash that much faster and necessitated pulling the starter again that
much sooner.

I know, sooner or later you get tired of this and you replace the
starter.  If your unit removes (fits) easily, I strongly recommend
having it rebuilt.  Apparently there are several different length
starters that will fit the hole, but, at least on our late, lamented '78
1500, certain ones fit well, and others were h#$%#% to fit.  The length
would interfere with some of the front tower & steering column.

Best of luck, Paul.  Let us know what happens.

Jamie Palmer
--
TCOC homepage: http://www.cris.com/~jamiep/

CHECK THIS EVENT OUT IF YOU'RE IN THE SOUTHEAST--LOOKS LIKE THE BIGGEST
EVER BASED ON PRE-REGISTRATIONS!
The Gathering Page: http://www.cris.com/~jamiep/gather.html