Re: bouncing TR6 speedo

To: Chris Bullock - vtxix <bullobc@vtxix.slg.eds.com>
Subject: Re: bouncing TR6 speedo
From: Michael Burdick <mburdick@netserv.unmc.edu>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 1997 09:55:59 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net

On Thu, 3 Apr 1997, Chris Bullock - vtxix wrote:

> What would be the cause of a bouncing, erratic speedo?
> Would this be the speedo head inside the instrument?  The
> cable looks fine and the connection into the tranny looks
> good - any ideas?

Chris,

It could be a problem with the instrument itself, but it could also be a
bad cable.  Although it looks fine from the outside, the cable could be
worn inside and causing the bounce.  Lubricating the cable might help (and
is certainly worth trying) if the bounce is fairly minor.  However, I have
found that once a cable starts to go, it only gets worse!

Cables are relatively cheap (much less than a rebuild of the speedo) so if
it were me, I'd replace the cable before shipping the speedo off for a
rebuild. If you want to be rigorous about it, you might want to remove the
guage and rig up a way to drive the speedo directly (with a variable speed
electric drill maybe) to see if the bounce really is in the instrument or
if it is being caused by the cable.

Good luck,
Mike
Omaha NE