Re: What color is British Racing Green?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: What color is British Racing Green?
From: Rainer Wallnig <Wallnig@KR.FH-Niederrhein.DE>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 1997 12:26:38 +0200
At 20:36 01.04.97 -0000, you wrote:
>>  Here's hoping that the subject question is not as dumb as it seems.
>>
>>     The original color of my Spitfire was Laurel Green, and I find this to
>>     be just a bit too dark to be to my liking, and can't quite picture
>>     myself living happily with it for the rest of my life!
>>
>>     I'd like to paint the car BRG but can't quite figure out what to ask
>>     the paint guy to do, as he says there are several shades of BRG. The
>>     color I have in mind is considerably lighter than Laurel Green and
>>     seems to have a bit of yellow in it (I'm definitely differently-abled
>>     when it comes to understanding colors!).
>Tom, I'm glad you asked this question. I have a 69 TR6 in the shop,
>awaiting a paint job, I have mostly, sorta, as of 2 weeks ago,
>tentatively, decided on the BRG.However in 69 the BRG was called
>Laurel(SP) green, it is a dark green, but I like the dark color.The local
>GURU, who will one day get around to finishing my car, told me that the
>Laurel Green looks to muddy, and tends to look dirty.He recommended the
>Jaguar BRG. I have seen two TR6's sprayed this color and they look nice,
>although the cars look different than the paint chips, that I looked at
>and with the extra yellow in the Jag BRG, in the direct sunlight is like
>a Kelly green and reminds me of a shamrock. Needless to say, I'm not
>totally sold on the Jag BRG green yet, but at this point, he could paint
>it any color, just as long as I get it back by next winter so I could
>enjoy some cool driving weather here in FL.Accoring to Bill Piggott, (
>The Original Triumph TR) his opinion is that TR6's are especially suited
>to dark colors.
>
>If there is anyone else out there who has debated what color to paint the
>Triumph, and can describe, or inform me about the different colors ,BRG
>vs. Laurel, I would appreciate it> It's a decision, I'm going to have to
>live with for a long time!
>
>Phil Smith
>Tampa, FL.
>69 TR6

Phil,

here are my experiences:

I painted my TR4 in BRG from Jaguar, it looks great! Not only I says this!
There are I think 4 nuances in Jaguar BRG, I chose the darkest one, but I
forgot the number (it has one, I know this at least). If you are interested,
I can find this out for you.

By the way, this BRG is nearly the same as SIKKENS paint  No. 17 (verdo).
SIKKENS is an AKZO daughter, so it will be available anywhere. I painted my
hood frame in SIKKENS 17 (original BRG paint is much more expensive), you
can`t see the difference. And as you are an amateur of British cars & green,
garden fences, garage doors ....... could be painted in the same color as
your car!

Hope this helps

Rainer, TR4 BRG 63, daily