Re: ignition coil

To: DANMAS@aol.com, derekev@academy.net.au, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: ignition coil
From: S1500@aol.com
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 1997 21:45:59 -0500 (EST)
Dan Masters wrote:

[ A very good explanation of ignition coil operation snipped ]

but ended with:

>... and I stand by, ready and willing - eager even - to be
>corrected.

The only part I can poke holes in is the bit about the capacitor (condenser).

>When the points open, the coil discharges through the capacitor, allowing
the
>field to collapse. ...

The coil doesn't discharge through the cap.  It discharges through the
secondary
HT side.  It will work pretty much the same way even if there is no capacitor
at
all, although your points won't last nearly as long.  The capacitor is
primarily to
suppress arcing at the points (and RFI of course).  It's not really a
resonant
LC circuit at all.

I also stand by (ready & willing) to be corrected,

Bob Sykes   -  - -  __,@_\____      s1500@worldnet.att.net
'78 Spitfires -  -- }-0-----0->     s1500@aol.com
We -triumph- without glory when we conquer without danger.
--Corneille