Re: EGR valves

To: Joseph Schneider <joe-schneider@nwu.edu>
Subject: Re: EGR valves
From: Nolan Penney <npenney@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Mar 1997 21:25:52 -0500
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
>on the subject of EGR valves, mine is functionless since the Weber DCOE
>manifold has no place to direct the exhaust gas, but can anyone explain the
>purported strategy of *lowering* combustion temperatures by adding hot
>exhaust gases to the intake charge? (I understand the chemistry of nitrogen
>oxide production enhancement with higher compression and temperatures, I
>just don't see how these hot exhaust gases don't ignite the charge in the
>intake manifold, let alone *lower* the temperature in the combustion
>chamber)

Exhaust gas is burned, and essentially innert, especially as far as combustion
is
concerned.  So buy injecting innert gas into the combustion chamber you dilute
the
combustable mixture, thereby slowing down the rate of combustion and the peak
temperature.

Don't focus on the temperature of the exhaust gas, it's actually a lot lower
then
you think.  It isn't contributing any more to peak Nox inducing temperatures.
It's
just an innert dilution gas now.