Blowing Fuses

To: <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Blowing Fuses
From: Dane_Berthelsen@intuit.com (Dane Berthelsen)
Date: Fri, 28 Mar 1997 13:32:00 -0800

     The fuse in the horn circuit on my 73 tr6 keep burning. There is no
     short circuit anywhere, and it's only if I keep holding down the horn
     switch, it is burns. Actually it takes a little while. The wiring in
     my car is sort of old, and I think some of them are suffering from a
     meltdown sometime in the past before I bought the car.

     The problem arised, when I was trying to find out, why there is almost
     no sound coming from the horn. It turned out, the output from the horn
     relay to the horn itself is only 8 volts even though the input is 12
     volts. Somehow I'm loosing about 4 volts in the relay. The relay could
     be faulty, but I replaced it last year, and I don't use the horn that
     much. I disconnected the wires from the horn to the relay, just to
     test the relay, and this was when I burned the fuse. I can hear the
     clicking noise from the relay, when it switches from open to closed.
     The fuse I'm using is a 30 amp fuse, and if I remember right, the
     formula for calculating amps is : volt = amp * resistance. The voltage
     in the circuit is 12 volts, and as mentioned the fuse is a 30 amp
     fuse. In order to lower the amp in the circuit I suppose I have to
     increase the resistance.

     Could someone please explain to me what's going on here.

     Thanks,
     Dane