Are transmission cases repairable?

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Are transmission cases repairable?
From: Alan Crane <acrane@crosslink.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 1997 11:12:49 -0500
I disassembled a transmission for a TR4A and found that almost all the
components are in good shape.  However, one of the inside faces of the
case, which the countershaft thrust bearing presses against, has worn at
an angle.  The other is ok.  The two faces have to be parallel.  Is it
possible to machine the bad face and build up to the proper clearance
with extra thrust washers?  Alternatively, can I restore the bad face
with some build-up material?

Any advice would be appreciated, especially if based on experience.

Thanks, Alan Crane
67 TR4A