Re: is there a dashpot oil heaven???

To: r bonilla <rbonilla@holly.colostate.edu>
Subject: Re: is there a dashpot oil heaven???
From: Charlie Brown <cb1500@erols.com>
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 18:59:59 -0800
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
r bonilla wrote:

> 79 spit....is there a dashpot oil heaven? where does this oil go?
> every hour or two of running, i can top off my su dashpot oil
> w/ a few cc's....5-10.....where does all of this oil go? to the same
> place my sock ends up as it passes through the laundry???
> any help is appreciated....r bonilla...colorado

r, (if that's your real name)

Normal carb on that car is a Stromberg 150. If that's what you have...
there's an O-ring on the mixture adjusting screw at the bottom of the damper.
Over time, that O-ring shrinks, cracks, and
generally just wears out. When that happens, oil can drain out in a matter of
minutes.

You can get to that O-ring by removing the piston from the carb, then remove
the needle (try to "eye-ball" the shoulder
height for re-installation) and the retaining screw from the piston. Working on
a clean, open work-top, put a 5"-6" piece of
1/4" wooden dowel into the hole normally occupied by the needle. Using a small
mallet, start tapping that dowel back up into
the bore that normally holds oil. As you get to the top of the bore, carefully
catch the bits that come out. First will be a
six-pointed star washer, followed by the adjuster with the offending O-ring.
These parts are small, be careful. That's why
working on a clean, open surface is important. If you don't have a rebuild kit
on hand, you'll need an O-ring that's OD=3/8",
ID=1/4" (section width=1/16")--almost any contemporary, over the counter,
compound will work here. As the manual usually
states, reverse directions for reassembly.

Hope that helps,
Charlie B.