Heralds in the U.S. [ was Re: TR3 Catalogue from TRF]

To: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Heralds in the U.S. [ was Re: TR3 Catalogue from TRF]
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 09:51:09 +0500 (EST)
At  8:14 AM 3/20/97 -0800, dave eaton wrote:

> > >The numbers are relatively small compared the the Triumph Herald. 8~)

TeriAnn Wakeman then asked:

> > The Roadster Factory is a US based company.  How many Heralds made it to
> > the states?  Common guys we are talking about the cars that the Roadster
> > Factory sells parts for and the percentage of their business they
> > potentially represent.

On Fri, 21 Mar 1997, Ron chimed in with:

> Gee, how 'bout the number of Sports 6's?  =80
> Only 675!!!!

I added up the numbers I found in Robson's _Triumph Herald & Vitesse_ book
on total U.S. sales (see http://www.vtr.org/Herald/Herald-history.html)
and it comes to a bit over 24,000, including those 679 Sports 6
Convertibles. A pittance compared to VW Beetle sales, but not all that bad
compared to sales of other specific models of Triumph. Also not bad when
one considers that the U.S. marketing effort was somewhat more focused
on the sports car side of the Triumph line! Note that almost half of the
above figure (11,654 to be specific) is for the Herald/Sports 1200
Convertible alone!

Not knowing the overall survival rate, it's hard to say whether the
survivors would provide a viable market segment for TRF, Moss, VB, etc.
;-)

--Andy