Re: Identifying Silicone Brake Fliud (what? no beer or TRF content?)

To: Henry Frye <thefryes@iconn.net>
Subject: Re: Identifying Silicone Brake Fliud (what? no beer or TRF content?)
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 16:23:25 +0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Thu, 20 Mar 1997, Henry Frye wrote:

> I found a red colored brake fluid in the lines, master cylinders,
> reservoir, wheel cylinders, etc.
>
> I have never worked with silicone brake fluid. I sort ofremember it is
> red. Is this it?

I know some companies use some color to designate silicone, but I don't
remember which color. However, this might be rare, valuable ;-) Girling
Crimson brake fluid, not available for quite some time now (20 years?).

> Is there a test I can do to see what I am dealing with. I considered
> pouring some on paint to see if it attacked the paint, but there has got
> to be a better, less destructive way!

Try mixing it with water. If it mixes, it's probably NOT silicone. If it
gets all foamy, it's good old whatever it was.

--Andy