Group 24 batteries

To: Isaac@Ivana.Net
Subject: Group 24 batteries
From: Dave Terrick <dterrick@pangea.ca>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 1997 10:46:19 -0600
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Hi o Isaac,  Dave Terrick here.

A quick word of warning on ANY oversized battery.  BEWARE and be sure the
positive lead is short proofed and the battery is well secured.  By this I
mean either the red rubber boot over the end of the cable or (as we don at
the races) covered in a bunch of RTV silicone sealant.

If the battery dislodges when you hit a bump,  the little between post and
hood (bonnett) clearance become none and you have a dead short AKA "a very
crude MIG Welder".  New hole in bonnet where none should be at worst, best
case a dumple and/or burn in the paint.  This HAS happened and I have seen
it, and it invariable happens when you least expect it.

A side post battery would totally eliminate the problem, but then you get
GM disease.  Many batteries now have both styles of terminals.  Just make
sure the unused ones are covered.

BTW, the group 24 I used on my TR6 had huge amounts of reserve power -
enough for driving lights AND a big audio system.  Well, as big as a '6
will fit.  Have you considered a Honda battery?  They are almost as
powerful and are much shallower than the ubiquitous chevy spec '24.

More Power (uhh, uhh, uhh)

Dave Terrick