RE: Detroit Locker rear for TR6

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: RE: Detroit Locker rear for TR6
From: Ljbtvr@aol.com
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 23:56:37 -0500 (EST)
RE: Detroit Locker rear for TR6

Does anyone out there have a use for a Detroit Locker unit that once was
installed in a TR6 rear?  I've got one that has some bad wear inside that
came with my TVR   I have no use for it since I installed a Quaife, so
anybody that will pay the shipping costs can have it for free (or pick it up
here).  I think it would be most useful for parts for someone who already
has one.  Fifteen bucks would probably cover UPS charges to anywhere in
the states.

Interesting story: Shortly after buying my GT6 (Mk I) in '76 I took it for a
short drive- it stopped dead 1/2 mile from home.  Towed it home.  Started
right up again, then stalled.  Appeared to be a fuel problem.  Traced it to
the  90º fitting on the bottom of the fuel tank.  Drained and removed tank
and fitting.  Unclogged fitting.  Tank rattled.  Turned upside down.  Out
came a corn cob shrunken to 1/2 normal size.

Moral of the story:  That shiny fliptop fuel cap must have been too
tempting to someone- too bad there was no way to lock it.

BTW- My TVR, which with my fat body inside weighs as much as, if not
more than a TR6, turned a 15.8 at the TRF's summer party dragstrip some
years ago.  But I had to plane the head, install a performance cam, and add
3 DCOEs to get it to do that well.  Wiped out two rod bearings after about
12 runs too.

Larry Bickel
ljbtvr@aol.com
Lancaster, PA
'68 GT6, my racer
'71 TVR 2500 (TR6 driveline), my street car and sometimes racer