[cmuldoo@CLEMSON.EDU: High Compression Pistons]

To: triumphs
Subject: [cmuldoo@CLEMSON.EDU: High Compression Pistons]
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb>
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 1997 02:09:11 -0700 (MST)
This was sent to the wrong address, rather than triumphs@autox.team.net

mjb.
----

     Date: Tue, 11 Mar 1997 12:20:37 -0500 (EST)
     From: Christopher Muldoon <cmuldoo@CLEMSON.EDU>
     Subject: High Compression Pistons

Fellow Spitfire Owners,
        I have been reading the list for two years now and have never really
voiced my opinion on any subjects or matter with regards to the
Spitfire....But finally I must break down and ask a question of those
understanding later model 1500 cc engines....I have completely restored my
1979 Spit by myself having only friends interested in small block Chevys,
Hondas and all all things Volvos!  Most of the time I have been utilizing
the "trial and error" approach to figure things out...but this time I am a
little concerned...My question is this...in 1977, the 1500 Spits used flat
top pistons to increase the compression of its firing stroke...in 1978 the
pistons were no longer used and a low compression piston was
substituted...Obliously I want as high of a compression ratio that I can
get....I am still a young man who likes to "hot rod" albeit in a much
soberer style...(how fast can these cars go?!)  Anyway, I have a friend who
has a friend who has a set of flat tops...I have been using the low
compression pistons since the second rebuild of 1994....no problems...but
hey....free pistons offers another chance for rebuild...but will the pistons
work with my 1979 head which I had work done to? I have never had the head
shaved...should I?  If so please let me know, I appreciate your time...
Looking forward to your inputs....BTW...I do have a mild Kent cam installed
on this car....Thanks, Christopher