TR6 mileage, vacuum, TRF

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TR6 mileage, vacuum, TRF
From: Bill Wood <triumph1@nr.infi.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 1997 00:15:41 -0800
My high mileage TR6, 95K, gets about 28 mpg on the highway using the
overdrive and not the air-conditioner.  Using it drops my mileage to
about 25-26 mpg.

I ran my vacuum retard unit for years straight off the tap on the back
carb.  I did this as I had removed the thermo-switch from the top hose
when I replaced it with a single piece hose when my originals failed.
Works fine.  Constant vacuum at the retard unit--no real problem with
needing the faster idle via the thermostatic switch.  Replaced as
original when I refurbished my car back in 1988 (wow that sounds long
ago!).

And finally, a comment about the TRF.  I am really glad they are getting
their feet wet on the net.  I hope someday to be able to look-up and
order on-line.  I would like to think my picture is in TRF's hall of
fame
somewhere for all of the money I have spent there over the years.  I
remember how sad I was when the company I was doing business with, START
YOUR ENGINES, said they were being bought out.  Then imagine how glad I
was to find out that a MUCH BETTER company had stepped in to take their
place, called THE ROADSTER FACTORY. Finally a place I could turn to
instead of the AWFUL British Leyland/BL Cars/Jaguar Rover Triumph/JRT
then nobody excuse of a dealer.  Parts?  You could actually get them!
Catalogs?  The best in the business (sorry TerriAnn).  Prices I could
afford, things I could get and a place that seemed committed to the
car/industry.  Backorders?  Yes. Ocassionally.  But nothing that ever
keep my car off the road.  They supplied lots of parts that KEPT MY CAR
ON THE ROAD!  And just so you don't get the wrong idea that I never had
to wait for anything, I hold in my hand invoice 90-018128-0 where I
ordered a GREEN HOSE SET.  The "90" in the invoice # means 1990.  When
was that delivered?  Mad?  Not a bit.  Glad somebody was trying to
reproduce it!

I've ordered lots from Victoria British; been disappointed a few times.
Ordered from Moss; good company.  Ordered from Rimmers; good company
(AND ON-LINE).  The Wedge Shop; GREAT COMPANY AND FREE TECHNICAL
ADVICE.  I've carried on so, and I'll come to a halt.  I've spent $$$ on
my 3 Triumphs, and I hope all of the companies I have done business with
have made a fair profit so I can continue doing business with them.  My
orders have declined, because my cars are finished.  But I'll always
return to the companies that helped me get my cars this way, in order to
keep my cars this way.  As for people's quirks--who doesn't have them?
ALL OF US DO BECAUSE WE LOVE TRIUMPHS!  HA!

Off of my soap box; better go put on my ASBESTOS underwear!

Bill Wood
1973 TR6
1979 TR8 Coupe
1981 TR8 F.I.