Trailing Arm Differences - deja vu

To: "Ken Brown (Kenneth Brown) (Kenneth Brown)" <kbrown@trmx3.dot.ca.gov>
Subject: Trailing Arm Differences - deja vu
From: Adam Turner <turner@public.se>
Date: Sun, 09 Mar 1997 12:56:37 +0100
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Ken Brown (Kenneth Brown) (Kenneth Brown) wrote:

> Hi List,
> I was in the process of removing the trailing arms from my TR 250 and I
> couldn't help notice that their was a difference in the rebound bumper cones
>on
> the two. The right arm has a extension sticking up from the arm on which the
> cone sits. The left has only a circular dish that looks like the bumper cone
> strikes. Their is no cone on the left arm and both sides have nothing attached
> to the body. Does anyone on the list know what these trailing arms are from
>and
> whether leaving them the way they are effects the geometry of the rear
> suspension? Last if it is OK to leave the arms as the are, what would be the
> proper bumper cone combination. Is this a case of the DPO switching things
> around....there is no sign that the vehicle has been in an accident.
>
> Thanks for any input,
> Ken Brown
> TR 250 finally getting around to the frame repairs
Wow!

I've got exactly the same thing on my '74 ex-US TR6. I'm not sure if the
flat's on the left or the right hand side, but I'll check. My flat's
been mounted on a different screw plug which has been bored into the
trailing arm at a different angle, and with a bigger bore, so I can't
see how it can be anything but sheer bodgery.

I thought it was just my DPO substituting the bump stop with a hockey
puck, but maybe this is one of those "classic" bodges like the 1960's
London trader's trick of stuffing a nylon shirt into a noisy gearbox.

Like yourself, I'd like definitive information.

Regards,

Adam Turner