Re: PERTRONIX Ignitor

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: PERTRONIX Ignitor
From: rgb@exact.com
Date: Fri, 7 Mar 14:50:04 1997
Cc: pficklin@qnis.net
>Does anybody have any experience with a "Pertronix Ignitior"?

I provided the factory with the distributor out of my '70 TR6
for porting their module to the TR6.  The was an OEM unit with
dual vacuum advance/retard units, the most complicated of the
TR6 production run.

Interesting aside, I had attempted to purchase one for the TR6
advertised in another "major" vendor's catalog.  Upon contacting
the factory I was told "THAT kit will not work properly in the TR6",
though it physically fits...  The factory catalog does not list the
Lucas 22D distributor in the application list for that kit...

Hence started my quest to obtain a unit for the TR6.

It does fit entirely inside the distributor, works with and without
a ballast resistor, and greatly helps the starting and high end spark.
The greatest advantage to the EI modules is being immune to the wobble
of the cam shaft due to bushing wear, immune to cam wear, and immune to
breaker plate pivot point wear.  These are subtle problems that plague
all the TR6's with more than 50k miles.  Impossible to isolate with
normal instruments, but cause a host of run-time erratic timing problems
that prevent the engine from running properly.

The kit you want is LU-166C, this has the clip on the cam-rider
that allows for the variation of cam size problem we encountered.
The factory recommends using the stock coil for most stock applications,
the transistor switched design increases the efficiency of the coil for
a hotter spark over the RPM range.  Looking at BRIGHTNESS and CRISPNESS
of the timing light at idle is a sure indicator.  I run a 0.035 plug
gap with the Ignitor installed.  The 11 to 1 compression engine uses
the Ignitor with Lucas Sport Coil.

Now for the kicker:

1.  I currently have a prototype unit for the Spitfire in test
2.  I currently have a prototype unit for the GT6 in test
3.  I have a case of TR6 Ignitors (LU-166C), $60 plus $3 shipping in US.

Roger Bolick            (this is a hobby, don't expect much service)
7205 Valburn Dr.
Austin, TX 78731
512-794-9567

Based on experience so far, I estimate 1 of 3 cars have ignition problems,
wrong/weak coil, coil backwards, vacuum hooked up wrong, etc.  If something
else is fouled up, don't expect this to magically fix it!