Spitfire Gas Mileage

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Spitfire Gas Mileage
From: "John W. Hazelton" <hazelton@mizar.usc.edu>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 97 21:40:55 PST
 Ken Tharp <kthinc@dwx.com> writes:

> Back in the mid-70's, in my former lbc life, our '71 Spitfires
> routinely got 30 miles per gallon. Today, my '79 gets less than 20
> mpg. I'm curious to know whether other late-model Spit owners do
> better than that.

 My '80 Spit typically got around 30 miles per (U.S.) gallon during
 city driving.  After it was lost to a car accident two years ago, I
 got a '79 (thanks to fellow lister Dan Parslow) to replace it.  As I
 drove it from Tucson, Arizona to Los Angeles, at freeway speeds of
 65-70 mph, I averaged about 31mpg.

 As soon as I crossed into California and started getting reformulated
 emissions-control gasoline, my mileage dropped to about 26 mpg.

 Driving in town, I now typically average about 23 mpg, which I
 suspect would be a bit higher with older formulation gasolines.

--John Hazelton
  Los Angeles, CA, USA