Re: TR6-Cutting Ctr Dash Support

To: JoeSimcoe@aol.com
Subject: Re: TR6-Cutting Ctr Dash Support
From: DANMAS@aol.com
Date: Mon, 3 Mar 1997 17:08:34 -0500 (EST)
Cc: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Joe Simco wrote:

"Awhile back there was a thread on cutting the center dash support to install
a radio.  I didn't pay any atttention at the time, but now need to shave 1/8"
off the opening.

Would someone who followed that thread please let me know what the consensus
was on cutting back a little of the aluminum around the opening??"

I haven't been on the list long enough to say what the consensus was, but I
have done it myself. I used a sharp knife to cut away the vinyl/foam, and
then used a course file to rough out the shape, followed by a finer file to
finish up. I wrapped it in a few towels and clamped it in a woodworking vise
to hold it. It requires a fair degree of care to keep from damaging the
finish, but it is certainly not difficult.

By the way, if you don't have a woodworking vise, I highly recommend buying
one, even if you absolutely, positively, never, ever plan on doing any
woodworking. Mine has 10" jaws and opens to 12", much bigger than a
machinists vice. Using soft pine inserts, I can clamp an odd shaped piece,
such as a carb, in it without damage. The soft pine compresses and conforms
to the shape of the object. By cutting V-groove in the insert, I can clamp
round items without damage. It won't replace a machinists vice, but it is a
great suppliment. Now, I couldn't get by without one.

Dan Masters,
Alcoa, TN