Re: TR6 vibration

To: dyip@netcom.com
Subject: Re: TR6 vibration
From: andertonm@juno.com (Mark R. Anderton)
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 21:39:51 EST
Cc: british-cars@Autox.Team.Net, triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
On Sun, 2 Mar 1997 16:06:10 -0800 dyip@netcom.com (David Yip) writes:

>I have this problem with my TR6 that started a couple of months ago.
>Initially I noticed that if I went about 65 MPH on the highway, my TR6
>would start to vibrate.  At first I thought it was a rough patch of
>road.  It wasn't.  It's gotten progressively worse to the point that
>it starts to vibrate at about 35 MPH now.  I've checked for play on
>all the wheels.  The front wheels were loose so I adjusted the end
>float.  This didn't change anything.  I've also checked the mounts
>for the rear differential.  They seem ok.  I do notice that if I push
>in the clutch when it vibrates, the magnitude of it goes down but
>doesn't complete go away.

I would check u-joints.  The back u-joint in my TR driveshaft went bad
and I put off doing anything about it.  It ended up breaking the front
mounting plate on the differential.  Snapped it right in two, but the car
got me home.  This was a low frequency vibration that felt like a wheel
out of balance.  With six u-joints, I can almost guarantee you have at
least one that's not up to snuff.  Look for red rusty areas where the
spider goes into the yoke, one indication of a dried-up bearing.

Mark Anderton
72 TR-6