Re:Tr3 non-skirted thermostats

To: triumphs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re:Tr3 non-skirted thermostats
From: wsachse@ncinter.net (Bill Sachse)
Date: Sun, 2 Mar 1997 10:04:13 -0500
Bob K. wrote
>Since my problem
>is at idle and it seems the shroud would be for channeling air at speed,
>this probably won't provide the biggest return, right?

I may be wrong but I thought the shroud helped at lower engine speeds as it
prevented the fan from sucking air around the radiator rather than through
it. At higher vehicle speeds it also helps by directing the (free) air
through the radiator.  The addition of a shroud corrected a long standing
problem with my '40 Ford pick-up.  I am running my Tr-3 w/o shroud at this
point in time and there are no ill effects.  I had the radiator
professionally flushed during the course of the restoration and I'm sure
that helps.  The string about slow vs fast flow thru the radiator is good.
I would vote for slowing down the coolant to allow the radiator to do it's
job.  Again I had that experience with the old truck which by the way has
seperate water jackets in the engine (right and left), two thermostats, two
temp sending units and the one radiator.  This adds to the intrique of
figuring out an overheat problem.

                                        Bill Sachse
                                        '71 Tr-6
                                        '67 Tr-4A