Re: Overdrive (TR4+6)

To: Triumph List <triumphs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Overdrive (TR4+6)
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sat, 1 Mar 1997 23:02:59 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 1 Mar 1997, John-Glen Swanson wrote:

> 1) Can a J-type OD be fitted on a TR4?  What sort of conversions need to
> be done?

If I remember correctly, you can't put a J-type overdrive on a
transmission meant for an A-type, but you can install a complete J-Type
overdrive & transmission from a late TR6 if you are willing/able to
fabricate a new rear mount.

> 2) What is a fair price on used overdrive units for the TR4 and J-type for
> the TR6?

What ever the market will bear.  I got a complete TR4 transmission and
A-type overdrive in nearly perfect condition for $200 at a flea market
about five years ago. Your mileage WILL vary...

> 3) How difficult is to rebuild an overdrive?

It requires some specialized tools and a lot of patience.

> 4) Does anyone have or know of an overdrive seeking a new home?

My current TR4 had a late TR6 tranny with J-type OD, which I replaced with
the TR4/A-type unit mentioned above.  I gave the J-type to Len
Renkenberger, who put it in an extended-frame TR6 he was building.  I
wonder what happened to that car?  Haven't seen it or Len for several
years.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154LO (daily driver)
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.