TR3A Rust-Removal

To: ron_botting@mindlink.bc.ca
Subject: TR3A Rust-Removal
From: Trmgafun@aol.com
Date: Thu, 31 Oct 1996 17:41:43 -0500
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
>instead go the usual route of sndblasting followed by etch primer and then a
>good frame paint.  I used POR 15 with good results.
>>The POR rep recommends that I skip the etching primer.

Ron,

Why not do the welding before dipping?  Is the frame that bad?  I would think
you could grind away the rust in the immediate area for welding, then dip it
and paint it.

As far as POR 15 over bare metal?  Usually a primer is used first since it
has better adhesion to bare metal.  The POR 15 seems to be a coating that is
not the same as your typical frame paint.  It has some sort of rust
conversion properties in it and is intended (they claim) to be painted right
over rust (?)  Kind of like the Corroless stuff that the Eastwood Company
sells.  I used that sruff on a truck of mine once and the rust was the
winner.  Although over clean metal, it probably would have been fine.  It's
been around for a while.  They seem to advertise fairly heavily.

Scott in Indiana
1958 MGA  HDA4346400
1958 TR3A TS35306L - FOR SALE
1968 TR250 CD3520L