Re: TR 3-4 engine problems

To: Rainer Wallnig <wallnig@KR.FH-Niederrhein.DE>
Subject: Re: TR 3-4 engine problems
From: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 08:06:41 -0600 (CST)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Tue, 29 Oct 1996, Rainer Wallnig wrote:

> Dear TR friends,
>
> I am new as an internet user but not as a TR user. And I have a problem with
> my TR 4
> engine (CT 28103). One day after appr. 10,000 mls from "new" the teeth of
> the drive gear between the camshaft and the oil pump/distributor were
> destroyed during normal operation. Oil level and temperature were normal. I
> now try to solve the problem by an additional oil pipe supplying the oil
> directly to the (new) gear.

        Hmmm, a new one on me... That's the gear driven by the cam, right?
        long shaft with a a tiny woodruff key, and a scroll cut in it to
        keep the shaft lubed in the bronze collet that's in the block....

        How was it damaged? I mean at the gear end? On the shaft? The only
        thing that comes to mind it the oil scroll on the shaft getting
        so gunked up with goo (mechanical terminology) that it woudn't rout
        oil up the shaft which boogered the shaft up.

        Greg Petrolati

Greg Petrolati, Champaign, Illinois