TR6 Master Cylinder

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR6 Master Cylinder
From: Stephen Benelisha <steveb@verity.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 1996 09:35:57 -0800
'74 TR6

My Break master needs a rebuild. I have the kit but the shop
manual (Clymer) I got from the PO does not have any details
on how to do this. I am going to order a Bentley I suppose
but in the meantime, how do I open it up? I have removed
the cylinder and I can see that on the back is a large
flange-like, donut shaped thing that appears as if it might
be screwed into the body of the cylinder. There is a notch
cut out of its top surface that looks as if it was intended
to be banged on. I tapped on it a bit with a hammer and drift
but nothing moved. I stopped to avoid damage since I'm not
sure what the right procedure is.

Could some nice person please clue me in? Thanks.

Now this is a lever shock question. Mine are dead. Soon
I am going to rebuild the entire rear end (need that manual).
But again, in the meantime:

The guy who owns several Triumphs down the street says that
they are probably empty and can be refilled for a "quick fix".
Is this really possible? Can it be done without removing the shock?
What weight oil is used?

Thanks
-Steve