[no subject]

> How reliable (wrong word, I know) is a STAG compared to a TR6?

I have to pretty much agree with Ed, but I may be a little more optimistic
about it.  I think you have to be an optimist to like this car.
A pretty neat looking car.  I've always liked that rollbar.

First off, anyone owning or considering owning a Stag should belong to
the Stag Owners Club in England.  The car was an export nightmare with
BL loosing money on every one they sold, but they were produced until
around '77 in England.  I'm sure this is the wrong number, but I think
around 5000 or so were imported.  Probably only a couple of thousand
still on the road across the country now, if that.  Most had major
engine work under warranty.  Timing chains should be changed every
35K miles.  If they break, valves hit the pistons and you have a major
mess.  I'm not even going to mention the crank, the cooling system or
the heads.  Other than that, the engine's pretty good :-)

> Is the 3.0 liter much different than the 2.5 liter in a TR6?

Hahaha.  Ed answered that pretty well.  Take two TR7 engines and mate
them together and you get the idea of the Stag engine.  Multiply TR7 engine
problems by a factor of 4.

> How long do they (on average) run before rebuilds?

A properly built and cared for engine with the attentive maintenance it
requires will last better than 100K miles.  Of course, buying it used
(or for that matter, when new!) you have no gaurantee of that, do you?
(A guy in my local club pulled out 15lbs of foundry slag out of his
Stag block when he rebuilt his).  Plan on stripping the engine down
when you get it.  You do know how to rebuild engines, don't you? :-)
Don't learn on this one. My engine is currently in pieces --  with any
luck it will be back together by Spring.  I bought a TR8 to drive:-)
You *can* make the engine reliable.  It just takes a little work.
Alright, a *lot* of work, but you can still do it :-)

> How much should I pay for one in 'excel cond'?

I paid $4500 for my '73 with 22K miles on it.  At the time, the engine
ran, although there was a little suspension damage, a couple of minor
dings and one rust spot under the front fender.  I've seen ones
advertised for $10-14K.  I wouldn't pay that.

> Do the soft-tops leak much?  How about the hardtops?

You'd consider driving the car in the rain? :-)  The top works pretty
well, overall.

> What years or options to avoid?

There really weren't a lot of options available on the car.  I'm partial
to the 4sp with overdrive, but a lot were built with the Borg Warner
automatic.  I'd stay with the '73.  Earlier ones had even more problems.

If you get the car, you will have the honor of owning a car with the
only Triumph designed V8, neat styling and, overall, a very classic
car.  On the downside, you will also inherit the results of lack of
engineering support, the only Triumph designed V8, defective labour
practices and long supply lines. I like the car and I would buy mine
over again, but I'm a glutton for punishment.

Oh yeah, don't buy it expecting to make money off of appreciation.  You'll
lose that in the first rebuild.
--
Paul Amaranth  Manager User Services - office: (313) 370 4541 (also voicemail)
(internet)     amaranth@vela.acs.oakland.edu  |  '70 E-type (boxes)