Re: TR250: intermittent missing @ mid-range

To: Sholtes IV <joeiv@concentric.net>
Subject: Re: TR250: intermittent missing @ mid-range
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 7 Oct 1996 20:48:23 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Mon, 7 Oct 1996, Sholtes IV wrote:

>      The possibility that the "bizzarre" vacuum guage may be leaking has
> occured to me to be worthy of further investigation. I would eliminate
> it at the source (i.e. intake manifold), then test ride to see if the
> engine still missfires.

Tempting thought, but you'd have to see the installation to believe it.
The plumbing to the gauge looks as I might have imagined a nitrous kit
installation to look! ;-)

>      Before even considering an engine rebuild,I would at LEAST take a
> compression test of the engine.

That checks out ok, with all cylinders in the ~120+ range, no one
cylinder deviating too seriously from that.

This car is such a textbook DPO Bodge example that it's difficult to know
where to search next. Carb cleaner on the throttle shafts whilst running
seems to have an ever-so-slight effect, especially on the rear carb, but
I still want to have one more closer look at the points, plugs and
distributor before I curse the dreaded Strombergs! :-)

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *