What the @#$& is hp?

To: Triumph Newsletter <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: What the @#$& is hp?
From: David Rupert <75701.242@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 04 Oct 96 10:53:24 EDT
Scions,

Since we are discussing strange measurement systems, I have one that has bugged
me for years.  I recently saw it crop up again in my latest issue of Classic &
Sportcar, with regard to the early Triumph Glorias and the Southern Cross.  What
the heck is hp?  One of the cars in the article was described as, "A 10.5 hp
model featuring a 48 bhp engine", or something to that effect.  I'm assuming
that it is NOT some arcane method of measuring horsepower.  My first wild guess
is that it has something to do with weight.  Could someone from across the pond
educate a confused American?

Thanks,

David Rupert
75701.242@compuserve.com