Re: pounds

To: Godafoss@aol.com, mjb@spitfire.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Re: pounds
From: TR6Massey@aol.com
Date: Wed, 2 Oct 1996 22:21:09 -0400
Cc: Triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 96-10-01 23:33:08 EDT, Godafoss@aol.com writes:

>A pound of feathers or a pound of gold? Gold is weighed in 14oz pounds, so
>the feathers have it with a 16oz pound.

Michael,

Look up Weights and Measures in the dictionary (or the Encyclopedia) and you
will see that gold is wieghed using the Troy units of measurement where
almost everything else is weighed using the avordipois (sp?) system of
measurements.

There are 12 Troy ounces in a Troy pound.  There are 16 Ounces (av) in one
Pound (av).  There are (approx) 14 Ounces (av) in one pound (troy) and there
are (approx) 14 ounces (troy) in one pound (av).   Of course this last part
is strictly coincidental.

There are many other incongruities in the "english" system of measurements.
 For example a barrel of beer is not the same size as a barrel of oil.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Dave
TR6Massey@aol.com
St. Louis, MO

P.S. I don't know what the weight of gold has to do with this list but the
beer and oil sure fits.