Wrong muffler?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Wrong muffler?
From: Bschwartz@encad.com (Barry Schwartz)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 10:34:35 -0700
>A true glass pack has an inlet and an outlet. The innards are packed
>fiberglass held
>in place with a perforated inner support tube.  When viewed from the true
>inlet end,
>these perforations poke out into the flow (like fish scales rubbed
>backwards).  This
>is supposed to direct the noise into the fiberglass to be absorbed....it
also >disrupts
>the flow through the thing
Brian,
This design also [contrary to popular belief] slightly increases back
pressure.  Usually this section is reduced in internal diameter to force the
exhaust into the chambers, and works by "scrubbing" the sound off.  Too bad
you already had it done.  Of course you can always do it over, I've found
that a short 'true' turbo muffler (the kind originally designed for the
turbo corvairs to reduce back-pressure) will fit transverse across the back
or if you prefer, slightly angled, and provide a really great mello sound
while crusing, and roars (but not excessively) when you open it up!

Glad every thing worked out,  missed you at Triumphest - had a great time,
see you at the next event, I'll be at San Diego British Car Day (formerly in
Del Mar) with the V6 Spit this year, and possibly have the 70 Spitfire done
in time (wishfull thinking?) for the next Moss festival  gathering
Barry Schwartz
Bschwartz@encad.com
Bschwart@pacbell.net
63' Spitfire,  72'-V6 Spitfire   70'GT6+