Re: What differential?

To: triumphs@autox.team.net ('trumppa')
Subject: Re: What differential?
From: knystrom@NCSCTC01ES.ntc.nokia.com (Nystrom Kim NTC/Espoo)
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 1996 11:15:23 +0300
** > Hi experts!
** >
** > Now as winter approaches (at least here in Finland...) I have to start
** > figuring out what parts I need to get for next season. I already have a
** long
** > list already, but there's something I'm unsure about and that's the
diff.
** > The engine is a 1500, but the gearbox is a 3-rail (maybe even from a
** Herald,
** > who knows..).
** >
** > Anyway, the diff is making more and more noise, i.e. high whining sound
and
** > I fear it will die on me soon.
** >
** > Is it possible to tell what kind of diff it is, if in fourth gear at
3000
** > rpm's I do ca 50 mph, and 4500 rpm's ca 70 mph? In other words, is it a

** > 3.89, a 3.29 or whatever..?? I just want to figure out if it is the
right
** > diff, cause the acceleration needs improving... And is it possible to
fit a
** > four-point-something diff to get better acceleration?
** >
** > Appreciate your help,
** >
** > Kim Nystrom,
** > from an already cold Helsinki, Finland
** >
** >
** Hi Kim,
**
** Sounds like a 3.89.  What year is your Spit?.  If it is a MkI,II,or III
it
** should have been a 4.11, while the MkIV, and 1500 had 3.89.  One way to
tell
** is the flange on the pinion shaft.  If it is small and square than it is
probably
** a 4.11, if it is larger and round than it would be a 3.89.  The pinion
shaft
** dia. was larger on the 3.89 diffs which were common between the Spits and
GT6.
**
** Also, the serial number on the diff will tell what type it was.  You can
find
** the number on the bottom of the diff housing.  I have seen information on
diffs
** on a web page maybe Francois Demont but I don't know the URL.
**
** Hope this helps
**
** Bill M.
** '70 MkIII Spit
** Huntsville AL

Well it's supposed to be a '76. BUT, there are some things which makes me a
bit unsure..:
 - it's registered as a mkIV and used to have a Herald 13/60 engine in it
until last winter
 - right now the engine is WB-something = from a FWD originally but still a
1500,
 - the gearbox is a 3-rail - didn't all 1500's have single rail gearboxes?
 - commissioning number on the plate is FH-84800 indicating a later type
1500, but steering rack and dashboard
are of the earlier type,
 - there is a Herald number stamped to the body above the bulkhead..., and
the front springs were from a Herald
 - the body seems to belong to a 1500

etc etc....

I think somebody at some point has put a lot of Herald parts in it, but
still registered it as a Spit.
So if you can help me sort things out, I'd be eternally grateful...

Kim N
Helsinki Finland

I looked for the diff serial number on the bottom of the diff, but couldn't
find it. Is it really visible from under the car?