Bleeding Brakes

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Bleeding Brakes
From: Warren.Allen@infores.com (Warren Allen)
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 1996 10:06:59 -0700
          Fellow Scions,

          A recent thread on the procedure for bleeding brakes brought
          back something that I think about every time I do this, but
          rarely remember to ask anyone about.  The following
          discussion will use the terms left and right, where left is
          the drivers side (for those of us on the American side of
          the pond).  This discussion also is only applicable for
          left-hand drive cars.

          We are supposed to start the bleeding process with the wheel
          furthest from the master cylinder.  But which wheel is
          really furthest?  Physically, of course, it is the right
          rear.  But these cars were designed to be built as right
          hand drive, and so the brake lines to the rear of the car
          are on the RIGHT side, and a pipe goes from the master
          cylinder across to the right side, hooks into the pipe to
          the rear, and, at the rear, a short pipe leads to the right
          wheel, and a longer pipe leads to the left wheel.
          Therefore, in terms of pipe length (or "pipically", rather
          that physically) the rear LEFT wheel is furthest from the
          master cylinder, and should be bled first.  Actually, now
          that I think about it, the CLOSEST wheel "pipically" may the
          front right.  I'm not sure of the layout of the pipes in the
          front of the car.  Does a spur lead from near the master
          cylinder to the front left, or does the pipe cross to the
          right side, and this another pipe lead all the way back to
          the left wheel?  The point is, when bleeding brakes, I think
          we need to look at the layout of the brake pipes and order
          the wheels according the amount of pipe from the master
          cylinder, then bleed from longest to shortest.

          Is this correct? Is this common knowledge?  Any comments
          would be appreciated.

          Warren Allen
          Winston-Salem, NC
          1960 TR-3