Re: Darwin Awards, TR6 timing, newsgroups

To: british-cars@autox.team.net (British-Cars)
Subject: Re: Darwin Awards, TR6 timing, newsgroups
From: "Randell Jesup" <jesup@mailhost.scala.com>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 96 15:59:15 EDT
JOHN HARDY writes:
>        i received this from Kurt Bilinski and thought you might enjoy it.
>
>>You all know about the Darwin Awards. Its an annual honor given to the
>>person who did the gene pool the biggest service by killing themselves in
>>the most extraordinarily stupid way.
[ amazing story of pulleys, ropes, and toolboxes deleted ]

>  And I don't care if it's true or not......................JH

        It isn't true, of course.  Funny though, in the same way as roadrunner
cartoons.  It's come around a couple of times before (perhaps even beginning
on rec.humor.funny).

        The Darwin Awards _are_ apparently real, though.  They've been used as
the supposed source for several humorous/urban-legend stories like the above
revently.  The real awards are apparently presented at the "Burning Man"
get-together in the desert each year.  Search the web for "Burning Man" and
you should find sites devoted to it.

        Ob-BC: I recently timed my '70 TR6.  The previous timing had been done
just by adjusting it until it idled and ran well (it had been bogging off idle,
especially when the retard kicked in).  The timing (according to the pulley)
had ended up at ~18 BTDC static (i.e. way advanced compared to the spec'ed
10-12 BTDC static).  When I reset it to around 10-12 BTDC, I've got (some) of
the bog coming off stops again (once the car gets to around 1300-1500 RPM,
the power shows up and it accelerated smoothly).  This makes me have to
'blip' the engine prior to releasing the clutch, or to slip the clutch more
than normal when starting.  It also seems to want more choke and for longer
after starting.

        Note: This is one of the dual advance-retard cars, BUT the DPO put
on '71 carbs (the advance port isn't drilled through, so no vacuum advance),
and I've disconnected and plugged the vacuum retard, because the diaphragm
on the retard leaks.  So I'm currently running on centripetal advance alone
(and the '70 distributer has less centripetal advance than the later no-vacuum-
advance engines).

        Perhaps the pulley is rotated a few degrees?  Or maybe more likely,
the lack of vacuum advance at near-idle RPM means that the ignition is more
retarded than it should be?

        I'm tempted to drill the vacuum advance port through on the carb with
the fitting for it (rear carb; stock '70 it was on the front, though it
shouldn't matter).  The vacuum retard supposedly doesn't do a great deal of
good (except to lower idle RPM), and the unit is apparently made of unobtainum
(you can get later retard-only units, but not advances or retards for the dual-
end unit).

p.s.  I'm still suggesting that people vote AGAINST the proposals for
rec.auto.makers.{jaguar,mg,triumph}.  The proposal was never discussed with
us (the mailing lists) before it was made, and the proponent appears totally
ignorant of the mailing lists and b-c resources on the 'net.  While I've mildly
favored newsgroups in the past, I think they should only be created if the
people on the mailing lists decide they prefer them to the lists.  This has
been rejected here around 10 times over the last 10 years.  See
news.announce.newgroups for the Call For Votes and the form to vote.

p.p.s The vote-taker will not post the CFV on the mailing lists, and the
proposer has ignored requests to do so, so you must read
news.announce.newgroups to see it and vote.
--
Randell Jesup, Scala US R&D, Ex-Commodore-Amiga Engineer class of '94
Randell.Jesup@scala.com