Re: TR4 cam bearing installation

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR4 cam bearing installation
From: Chip Old <fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us>
Date: Sun, 15 Sep 1996 16:51:26 -0400 (EDT)
On Sun, 15 Sep 1996, John Middlesworth wrote:

> I'm ready to put the cam bearings into my TR4 block, but I'm a little
> confused about the setscrews I see illustrated in the Moss catalogue.  The
> shop removed the old bearings without returning any screws to me.
> Questions:
> 1. Did all the 4-cyl blocks use screws to retain the bearings?

All TR2/3/4 blocks use three shouldered setscrews to retain the camshaft
bearings.  There are two between (and more or less in line with) the
distributor and fuel pump mounting bosses.  The third is to the rear of
the fuel pump.

Don't confuse them with the three oil gallery plugs which are more or less
in the same positions but lower down on the block.

> 2. Will I be able to fit the bearings in myself or will a machine shop
> need to do it?

It can be done at home, but there's less chance of expensive error if you
let a machine shop do it.  Each bearing needs to be pulled or pressed into
place with a mandrel that uses another of the bearing bores as a guide.
This pulls them in straight, preventing distortion.  In addition, the oil
hole and setscrew holes in each bearing have to be aligned with their
respective bores in the block.  If the setscrew hole is even slightly out
of alignment, trying to force in the setscrew will distort the bearing.

On page 1-115 of the TR4 Workshop Manual there is a drawing of the
official factory tool for installing camshaft bearings.  If you want to do
it self, you should try to rig up something similar.

Chip Old                      1948 M.G. TC  TC6710  NEMGTR #2271
Cub Hill, Maryland            1962 Triumph TR4  CT3154L
fold@mail.bcpl.lib.md.us

If cars had evolved as fast as computers have, by now they'd cost a
quarter, run for a year on a half-gallon of gas, and explode once a day.