Spitfire timing question

To: <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Spitfire timing question
From: "Sean Johnson" <sean_johnson@milacron.com>
Date: Sun, 8 Sep 96 21:54:11 -24000
I've finally gotten around to installing new AAX needles, setting the valve
clearances, and setting the timing on my Spitfire with the '79 engine and SU
HS2's.

The static timing was set to 4 degrees ATDC; As a guess I reset it to 10
degrees BTDC, as I assume that the ATDC setting was for the Spit with full
emissions equipment.  All my emissions stuff is long gone.

I haven't started the engine yet.

Question:  What should my timing be set to?

Second question: I have an aftermarket lumenition electronic ignition.  If I
set the timing dynamically, should I plug the vacuum advance, or leave it as
is per the manual section on electronic ignitions?

Someone care to explain why the electronic system doesn't need to have the
vacuum advance disconnected for timing?

Any help or opinions appreciated.

thanks,

Sean Johnson
'75 Spitfire, '79 engine, 69' carbs, etc. etc.[don't blame me-the DPO did it]