Re: opinions on webber varbs for 4 cylinder solicitated

To: kengano@advant.com
Subject: Re: opinions on webber varbs for 4 cylinder solicitated
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 1996 20:44:26 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
Ken,

I've run SUs, Strombergs, down-draft, and side-draft Weber carbs on my Spit
(my autocrosser, use to be driver). I've currently got HS2s on my daily
driver. I've got a pair of DCOEs on my autocrosser.

At a maintained high speed, i.e. full race conditions, HS carbs will flow
fuel just as well as Webers. In an autocrossing - on the gas, on the brake -
situation, Webers, with their accelerator pumps, can't be beat. There's no
way, given equal engines, the damper configuration of SUs or Strombergs can
respond as quickly as the pumps on the Webers.

So, when you say performance is every concern, you've got to ask yourself
what kind of performance do you want? SUs will definately be easier to adjust
and tune. Webers will give you better off the line performance, but they're a
bit more trouble to set up. Are you going racing? Are you going autocrossing?
Or, do you just want to beat the punk in the Miata at the traffic light?

You make the call,
Charlie B.