Re: A car that has not been started in 5 years

To: "Daniel Marko (4858)" <DMARKO@avc.calgary.ab.ca>, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: A car that has not been started in 5 years
From: R John Lye <rjl6n@uva.pcmail.virginia.edu>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 96 07:38:31 EDT
On Sep 6,  4:14am, "Daniel Marko (4858)" wrote:
> A triumph that has not been run for
> 5 years. What would you recommend before I turn the key.

First - change *all* the fluids: oil, antifreeze, tranny oil,
diff oil, brake fluid, clutch fluid.  They'll all be bad.
Then pour about a tablespoon of oil into each cylinder through
the spark plug hole.  Put a wrench on the front crank bolt
and turn the engine over by hand (while the spark plugs are
still out) - turn it over several times to distribute the oil
and make sure that it turns freely.  I'd rebuild or at least
thoroughly clean the carbs (including inside the float bowls
and the jets) and replace the points, plugs, condensor, rotor,
distributor cap and spark plug wires.  After that, I'd prime
the carbs with a bit of starting fluid and give it a try.

good luck,

John Lye

rjl6n@uva.pcmail.Virginia.EDU