Re: Towing a TR6

To: Triumphs <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Towing a TR6
From: Glenn Franco <76644.2655@CompuServe.COM>
Date: 02 Sep 96 23:08:58 EDT
On friday the following messages were posted.
>  CHAD JESTER WROTE:

> > Does anyone have any experience with flat-towing a TR6?

> >KEN BOETZTER REPLIED:

> Chad,
>
> There is a definite potential for transmission harm.
I wouldn't rule out towing your or anyone elses LBC by Tow Dolly or by Flat
towing (tow bar).

True with front drive cars on a dolly  the dead axle contacts the road and no
drivetrain parts move.
I posed this question to Demco I have one of their fine dolly's (they have
Knuckles/Kingpins and tie rods/the thing steers instead of using a turntable).
Anyway they convinced me it was ok to tow my TR6 with the front wheels up on the
dolly and the rears on the ground with the trans in neutral. Just an important
comment from them was that you should not set the rear wheels up on the dolly of
a rear wheel drive car.

Remember these things are mostly standard transmissions, and the trans gets
backdriven by the prop which turns the output shaft (which is really the
mainshaft) and agreed the gears freewheel but the synchronizer hubs are splined
to the mainshaft which should cause some lubrication.

Since I can't fit a family of 5 in a TR6 we have towed it on many occasions
(twice to TRF). We probably put at least 2000 miles on it in this fashion goin
twice to The Roadster Factory's Summer Party and Carlisle. No Damage to the car!
Never removed a Prop Shaft!

Just purchased a Mini Motorhome and plan to tow both my Jeeps, my two TR6's  and
this weekend my MGB.
We love to drive these things and do but until they can make a five seater B or
6 we tow to long distance events. Checked it out with my Drivetrain Engineering
counterparts (for the Jeep's) and got the OK shouldn't be a problem.

Just my $.02 worth.

Glenn Franco

71 & 74 TR6
76 MGB
85 Jeep Scrambler and 91 XJ (its a Cherokee)