Re: TR6 Brake Master Cylinder

To: Murry J Mercier <mercierm@battelle.org>
Subject: Re: TR6 Brake Master Cylinder
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 28 Aug 1996 10:36:31 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
On Wed, 28 Aug 1996, Murry J Mercier wrote:

>      I am new to the ranks of Triumph owners having just succumbed to a
>      'virus' which invaded when I first drove an LBC in 1951 and purchased
                                    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
OK, inquiring minds want to know -- what was it?

>      a 73 TR6... trailered to my garage with boxes of parts last evening.
>
>      The previous owner reported a nagging problem with the MC due to the
>      'tipper assembly'.  I had planned to have it sleeved and rebuilt by
>      White Post Restorations but the old MC is nowhere to be found (he said
>      he attempted to resurface the cylinder and 'ruined' it). He claims
>      that any 'new' MC ordered from TRF, Moss etc. would have been
>      manufactured circa 1985 and thus would have defective a 'tipper
>      assembly' due to shelf deterioration.

Scions, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but it's a bit hard for me
to believe that. Yes, it's certainly possible that an NOS cylinder would
have seals and perhaps the tipper valve deteriorate after many years on
the shelf, and I would CONSIDER renewing said bits in an NOS cylinder I
knew to be that old. But no new cylinders manufactured since 1985?

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *