Re: Spitfire Exhaust Man Gasket?

To: spitfire@zeu.tt.umist.ac.uk
Subject: Re: Spitfire Exhaust Man Gasket?
From: CBrown1500@aol.com
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 1996 21:05:53 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net

<< All spit 1500s blow manifold-to-downpipe gaskets at three monthly
intervals,
 its in the handbook under "design-fault"  I replace mine three to four times
 year, and so does everybody else I know.  They're cheap enough, but it's a
 pain.  The only known cure is to put a different manifold on the car, such
as
 those from MOSS (triumph-tune) T.S.S.C., John Kippings, etc.

 If you decide to just change the gasket as I do, invest in some brass nutts
 replace the steel ones, it makes removal much easier next time.

 Hope this helps,

 Chris. >>

Just a note. I hung the old stock exhaust on my '73 Spit about a year ago,
attached to the stock manifold, and it's still going strong. Could by just
plain luck. Does your car still have the cataclysmic converter? Maybe the
extra heat causes the premature failure.

Another note. Try smearing the exhaust nuts and bolts with a little
anti-sieze. Makes disassembly a whole lot easier than brass nuts even.

Charlie B.