Re: Triumph's Anti-Skoda Campaign...

To: "Glen R. Wilson" <railroad@itw.com>
Subject: Re: Triumph's Anti-Skoda Campaign...
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Mon, 19 Aug 1996 14:49:44 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: Scions of Lucas <british-cars@autox.team.net>, Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Mon, 19 Aug 1996, Glen R. Wilson wrote:

> Mr. Mace's prejudicial opinion of the relative merits of the 100E versus
> the Mayflower are rooted in years of Prefect Envy.  Mayflower owners
> have always longed for rattle-free unibody construction MacPherson
> struts and (quite possibly) hydraulic brakes.

As usual, Mr. Wilson's extraordinarily thorough lack of knowledge
manifests itself in the above statement. The Mayflower, in fact, is a
unibody of sorts, with chassis frame welded to the body. Witness this
transcription of an actual conversation at the Banner Lane factory:

Line Foreman: Look sharp, mates. Sir John Black is coming 'round, and 'e
wants to see these Mayflowers motoring off the end of the production
line straightaway!

Worker: But Guv'nor, we've run out of bloomin' body mounting bolts!

Line Foreman: Then WELD the bloody body to the bloody chassis! And HURRY!
Sir John's Swallow Doretti is waiting outside!

Well, something like that.

> Mr. Mace and others with
> similar problems would be best advised to face up to reality, find
> themselves good vintage Fords and start a new lives free from the
> limitations and cramped accomodations of the Mayflower Syndrome.

In the interest of bandwidth conservation, I now yield the floor.
Hopefully my steamed colleague will do the same. ;-)

--AM