Re: TR-3 Wire Wheel conversion

To: twakeman@scruznet.com, jibrooks@juno.com, Triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR-3 Wire Wheel conversion
From: ArthurK101@aol.com
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 1996 14:10:59 -0400
In a message dated 96-08-16 10:53:34 EDT, twakeman@scruznet.com (TeriAnn
Wakeman) writes:

<< Is that why the splines stripped on my MGBGT about 3 months after I
 purchased it?  The knockoffs were on the correct side but they were loose.
 They didn't self tighten.

 There is not enough leverage on the ears to damage ether the splines or the
 hubs. >>

Teriann, I'm do not want to get into a hassle over this--But --

1) Don't know what caused the splines on your MGBGT to be stripped

2) I replaced the original hubs and wire wheels on my car 3 years ago.
 Before I did it I did much research and found several articles relating to
the physics of wire wheels.  The articles described exactly what I said.  If
you tighten the knockoffs with the hammer the wheels might not be properly
seated (i.e. off center) and there is also a chance that you can damage the
hubs.  Note that I said to whack them about 5 or 6 medium shots before you
drive away.  I have changed, rotated etc. my tires/wheels many times in the
last 32 years I've owned the car and have never had a problem.  Also my
original wheels lasted about 80K miles before I replaced them.  So, it's up
to you whether you take my advice or not. :-)).  Cheers

Art