Re: TR6 Transmission Oil

To: ak627@dayton.wright.edu, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 Transmission Oil
From: KVacek@aol.com
Date: Tue, 13 Aug 1996 20:54:27 -0400

<< Don't know if this is a rock-solid reason, but if you are draining out
 old gear oil and replacing it with 20w50 engine oil, I think the biggest
 problem will be the detergent that's in the engine oil, but not in the
 old gear oil.  Any old sludge, dirt, metal shavings etc that might be in
 the bottom of your gear box might be loosened up and suspended in the oil,
 and there's no filter to remove them here, as there is in the engine. >>

FWIW --Oil chemists and oil company researchers have told me many times that
this is just not a significant concern.  The detergent, they say, holds dirt
in suspension, but does not particularly loosen or "scrub" away old deposits.
 I've dont just this change many times with no apparent ill effect.  Used to
run 50W Valvoline Racing Oil, plus a can of STP, in my E-P Healey with OD.
 No problems.

-Karl