TR3: starter motor trouble - part 2

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: TR3: starter motor trouble - part 2
From: anders@ull.biomeklab.aau.dk (Anders Odgaard)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 16:48:19 +0000
Thanks to those, who responded to my first posting

> The starter motor on my 1956 TR3 has failed. When pushing the starter button,
> the motor runs willingly, but it doesn't turn the engine.

As some of you guessed, the rubber coupling (between the shaft and the spiral
gear,
which throws the pinion into the flywheel ring gear) has failed.

Someone suggested, that I simply welded over the rubber part of the coupling. My
concern if, of course, that the shocks, which will occur as the starter engages,
will harm the rest of the starter motor or the flywheel.

Does anyone have experience or opinions on eliminating the function of the
rubber
coupling? Is the rubber coupling only the result of over-cautious design
(apparently,
there's no rubber coupling on a number of other types of starter motors)?

Thanks,

Anders, Aarhus, Denmark

1956 TR3
1983 Rover 3500 SE