Spitfire Transmission problems

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Spitfire Transmission problems
From: rjannelli@uncc.campus.mci.net (Ralph Jannelli)
Date: Thu, 8 Aug 1996 08:35:36 -0400 (EDT)
I need some info - I have a line on a rebuilt Spitfire 1500 (single rail)
transmission with overdrive for a reasonable price. What is involved in
changing over my MKIV to accept this tranny? The MKIV has the 10 spline
input shaft the 1500 has the 20 spline shaft, I know I will need the 20
spline clutch plate and I believe larger pressure plate since the 1500
clutch is larger diameter. Will the pressure plate bolt to the flywheel I
have in the MKIV (1300cc engine vs 1500cc)? Or do I need to replace the
flywheel as well? I know I will have to have the drive shaft shortened how
do I find out how much? Do I need to mount the trans and measure it? How do
I measure it? Or does some one have the measurements they could supply to
me? Also is the tranny output flange from the 1500 the same as the MKIV?
Does anyone have an OD drive shaft to sell me (cheap)? Also the tranny does
not have a shift lever does anyone have a 1500 tranny OD shifter (the on
with the OD switch on it) for sale? I think I can fabricate the needed
wiring harness but I'll also need a relay. Any advice or help would be
greatly appreciated.
Ralph Jannelli
'72 Spitfire MKIV daily driver
'65 Spitfire MKII freshly restored