Old camshaft

To: triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Old camshaft
From: tonyr@dzn.com
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 22:03:16 -0600
AK>Hi Tony,

AK>It's in the mail---ya can't miss it.  But don't hold your breath, it's
AK>traveling third class; postage was less than $10. that way.

K>BTW, a few more words in re the external oil feeder--the one I have seems
AK>to act as a `jumper' around the normal oil path up thru the scroll on the
AK>rear journal; it goes directly from the main gallery near the pump up to
AK>the drilled hole at the back of the head that feeds the rocker pedestal.
AK>Wouldn't this result in oil dripping down onto exhaust #1 lobe sooner,
AK>since there would be full pressure to the rocker shaft just as soon as the
AK>engine fired up (for all practical purposes) rather than waiting for the
AK>scroll to fill and develop pressure, if I understand this correctly.

Tom,
 Great, as soon as it arrives, I'll check the postage and get that
amount right back to you . Thanks again.

 On the external oiler:
  I am not condemming external oiler kits, I just don't feel that
suppliers are providing enough information to people that buy them.
  For example, these kits should be ideally installed so that the oil
does not drip directly onto the valves, but directly onto the rocker
arm.
 Dripping on the valve springs directly over the intake valves can pull
oil down into the cylinder through any questionable valve guide, thus,
hastening ring deterioration. Especially in most of the Triumph engines
which have no valve seals.
 The guides are especially long so seals were not used.
 I don't know if the external oiler will allow the engine to get oil any
faster than going through the regular galleries. Theoretically, it
should, since oil will flow the fastest through the route of least
resistance.
 The only sure way to get oil to the upper engine quickly enough to
avoid dry start would be an electric oil pump.
 I thought about adding an external oiler kit to the TR6 engine I am
building for my 68 GT6, but opted to enlarge the oil ports in the rocker
shaft and go to a larger volume oil pump.
 External oiler kits are an improvement that can be made with little
effort. The only kit I saw was very vague in the directions department.
 I guess I am just a "purist" when it comes to engines. I can't help
myself. I've tried, but the Doctors said there were side effects to the
medication.
 Hey, take care and thanks again on the cam.
Best Regards,
Tony
--
The Digital Zone  (915) 751-0131 voice (915) 759-8100 data
http://www.dzn.com