Re: AMCO BUMPER WANTED

To: "Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570" <RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: AMCO BUMPER WANTED
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 1996 09:45:33 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: robeert ylitalo <robert.ylitalo@kiruna.se>, Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Tue, 6 Aug 1996, Richard Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570 wrote:

> >Who knows where i can buy an amco bumper?
>
> What IS an AMCO bumper?
>
> Rich????(Puzzled)

Rich (and Robeert), I know you now have been enlightened, but I thought I'd
give you just a bit more info.

In my part of the US, these AMCO bits are known either as "overriders"
or "lifesavers". They usually are tubular, chromed steel bars that span
between the regular overriders (and, on some earlier Spitfires, "fill"
the gap between the rear quarter bumpers). In America, where one of the
fiercest, most brutal sports is full-contact automobile parking, these
AMCO bars are nice to have if you've ever considered keeping your car's
bodywork intact.

Years ago, these AMCO bars were thoroughly tested any number of times on
my 1970 GT6+ by various owners of large (READ: approximately same size
as the Torrey Canyon) American sedans, as in the following scenario:

Me: "Hey, stop bumping into my car."
Them: "Gee, Mister, I didn't see it. It's so low."
Me: "And I suppose you didn't HEAR the thumps the eight times you bumped
it?"
Them: Uh....

You get the picture.

Of course, the one time the bar proved to be of little use was when the
driver of a Ford Pinto Squire ("estate car" version of the famed American
Torchmobile) decided he was too far into an intersection, and that the
bus turning left across his bow would strike him mightily, so he rammed the
transmission into reverse, then rammed the car into my GT6+'s front
bumper. I did get enough out of the settlement for a new bumper;
fortunately that was the only damage. He'd hit too low to catch either
the AMCO bar or the EXPENSIVE bonnet behind!

Robeert, I don't know how easily you will succeed in finding one of
these for your Spitfire, but it may well be worth the search!

--Andy

  * Mrs Irrelevant: Oh, is it a jet?                                  *
  * Man: Well, no... It's not so much of a jet, it's more your, er,   *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with wings.                                *
  *   -- The Cut-price Airline Sketch, Monty Python's Flying Circus   *