Re: Q-ships

To: Gregory Petrolati <gpetrola@prairienet.org>
Subject: Re: Q-ships
From: Andrew Mace <amace@unix2.nysed.gov>
Date: Wed, 31 Jul 1996 13:38:15 +0400 (EDT)
Cc: Scions of Stanpart <triumphs@autox.team.net>
On Wed, 31 Jul 1996, Gregory Petrolati, as have several others privately,
wrote:

>       SORRRY I can't let this one go, folks... Q-ships were
>       vulnerable-looking tramp steamers used during WWI and WWII to
>       lure U-boats captains into surfacing to sink them...

>       Cars that are Q-ships are ones that look like normal sedans...
>       but pack a lot of horsepower and/or great handling under the "plain
>       wrapper" (e.g. the Dodge Dart 440 of the 60's the Nissan Sentra SEX
>       or even the Golf GTI). In hot Rod terminology Q-ships are also called
>       "sleepers"

OK, OK, I surrender! First I'm slammed by "slammed" cars, then gunned
down by Q-ships. I'm all too happy to know that there are other aged
members of this list who remember what "Q"-'cars' were, such as original
Pontiac LeMans GTO, the Plymouth Road Runner (without the decal it's a
Belvedere). I still say that the definition can be stretched to cover
many of today's cars. Granted, though, it's a stretch, especially with
the trim level on so many of today's wannabe luxury nameplates.

Excuse me, I just got the August 1966 issue of _Rod & Custom_. I've
some catching up to do. ;-)

--Andy

  * Mrs Irreverant: Oh, is it a Q-ship?                               *
  * Man: Well, no... It's...more your, er,                            *
  *  Triumph Herald engine with gunsights.                            *