Re: Coming out of storage-longish

To: "Peter Zaborski" <peterz@merak.com>, "'triumphs@autox.team.net'" <triumphs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Coming out of storage-longish
From: John Matthews <matthews@apple.com>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 96 16:36:47 -0800
Peter,

Don't know much about the TR range as I'm Herald owner, but......

Obviously the first thing to check is the brakes, (hoses, pads, shoes,
seals, master, and lines.) You need to stop if you want to go!!!!

If the engine runs as you say, do an oil change and put new filters in.
Replace one quart of oil with that Marvel Mystery stuff, it works
wonders. Also, drain any old gasoline out as it may be varnish now. Might
run for just long enough to clog the jets, etc.......
Have the tank boiled out if necessary, your local radiator shop should be
able to do it for about $30- US. Clean the fuel lines.
Check all fluid levels.

Once you have new gas and oil, and you're sure the brakes will work fire
it up.
If you have good oil pressure let it run for a few minutes to be sure you
don't have any major leaks.

Now the fun begins!!!!

Drive, Drive, Drive, Drive,Drive, Drive, Drive, Drive,
Change the oil after the first 200 to 300 miles.
Drive, Drive, Drive, Drive, and Drive some more!!!!!

Make sure you stop and check all your fluids frequently, be extra alert
for things that may have gone south since you put it into storage, but
mainly drive.

I've resurected several cars over the years, and most of them weren't
stored properly as yours was. The tires may have flat spots from sitting
so long, and these may go away, or not.
But, and others may have had this experience (after sitting for so long
sometimes little things stop working; resist the urge to replace anything
not vital to actually driving. Sometimes it will start working again
without doing anything. The type of repairs I really love!!!!)

You should be able to do all this over a weekend, and you'll be so glad
you did it when you're out on the open road with the wind in your face.
Just get out there!!
If you have any specific questions feel free to contact me or post the
list.
I think I've covered everything here, but if I've missed any TR-6
specific items I'm sure someone on the list will correct me. As allways
YMMV. Have Fun!!!!!!!

Cheers,
John Matthews
'61 & '65 Heralds