Re: Accidents Happen

To: RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk, gurban1@gl.umbc.edu
Subject: Re: Accidents Happen
From: DLMAssoc@aol.com
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 1996 16:14:27 -0400
Cc: triumphs@autox.team.net
In a message dated 96-07-30 10:57:05 EDT, RICHARD.JACKSON@nene.ac.uk (Richard
Jackson - Network Technician ext. 2570) writes:

>>It is only a car.  If you are not prepared to deal with the fact that
>>accidents happen when driving, stay off the road.  Malicious intent to
>>harm others is not justified just because the other party caused
>>unintentional harm to your large block of metal.
>
>>We all make mistakes (the kid's biggest was saying something stupid like
>>"Accidents happen, dude."), but I for one do not want to be the judge on
>>how "violent" our reaction is allowed to be.  Is it ok to punch him
>>once; twice; crow bar to the  head three times; shotgun to the leg?
>
>Hey, we're talking about a Triumph here, not no crappy MG, Don't use the
jack
>handle, use the whole bloody trolley jack........:-)
>
>>Really, this is all unecessary.  Be happy no one is hurt.  This is the
>>reason we have insurance.
>
>BUT.....what if the 'Dude' don't have no insurance man!!!!!
>
>I think this is when the shotgun should come into play.
>
>Rich - How many times have I heard 'Oh, sorry, didn't mean to hit your car,
>but it is 'only' an old one.........

I started to respond to this one earlier, but I knew Rich would jump in with
both feet (probably in his mouth)...

This one specially hit home for be, since I too went through a similar event
last year, only my "perp" not only didn't have insurance, but was driving a
stolen car and didn't even stop after the wreck.  I can understand that part,
since he was making a getaway from robbing the JiffyMart.  Fortunately I was
driving my Z and not my TR or I'd have been really hurt.  So I now have
possibly permanent pain, but hey, "it could have been worse".

This attitude of "Shit happens" is a result of people not being held
resonsible for their actions, even if it's from a lack of attention rather
than criminal intent.  It's unfortunate when a fine upstanding citizen gets
punished for carelessness or some otherwise innocent act, but that's really
the chance you take when you get behind the wheel.  It's your responsibility
to pay attention to where you're going and what's happening around you and
not cause an accident.  If you do, then you should pay the price, and the
fact that you have insurance doesn't always make it right for the person you
hurt.

<Soapbox to "off">

Don (he should fix my car and then mow my yard for the next 20 years)
Marshall